Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Wake-up wonton cups

This Sunday I managed to actually cook something- albeit a small something. My mother in law actually recommended this recipe to me and I couldn't help trying to make something so cute! The recipe called for scrambled eggs and tomatoes as the ingredients (in order to make it healthy), but since Robert doesn't eat tomatoes, I changed my recipe from the source. . . as I always do!

Wake-Up Wonton Cups
Source: Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook (the new edition)
Makes: 12 cups



Ingredients:

4 eggs
Jimmy Deans breakfast sausage meat (it comes in a roll/tube)
Wonton wrappers
1/4 green pepper
Tostitos Chunky Salsa: mild

Method:

The first thing I did was chop up the pepper. I only needed a 1/4 of a green pepper, and I cut the slices very thin because the cups are so small.

Next, spray a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray, place the wonton cups delicately into the cups, and spray those with cooking spray also. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and once heated, place into the oven for roughly 10-12 minutes. This will make the cups crispy, however, I followed the recipe completely and haven't attempted to make them softer yet.

While the cups are baking, start cooking the sausage and peppers in the pan. While leaving them to simmer, break four eggs into a separate bowl and beat until there is a consistent yellow color throughout. Once the sausage/pepper mix is well cooked, add the eggs and keep sifting them about to create scrambled eggs.

For an aesthetically pleasing picture, I probably should have cooked my sausage mix and scrambled eggs separately. But in the end, it was all going in the same cup.

If you cut your peppers first, your sausage/scramble mix and cups should be done around the same time. Remove from oven, let cool, and scoop mixture into the cups. Add salsa for dressing.


There was a general agreement that the recipe was good, but the cups were too crispy. I've received lots of advice on how to make the cups a little softer, so next time I try them, I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment: