Sunday, July 24, 2011

A snapshot of newly married bliss

This weekend has had its ups and downs. We ran into some unexpected financial troubles, and I've been feeling under the weather and trying to do very little. However, doing very little involved decorating the bonus room in my parent's house. Since my car troubles hit our savings account, we're having to stay at home a little longer than planned. As such, my parents are letting us use their bonus room as our sitting area. We haven't done a lot yet, but it already has a touch of us.

Robert moved his entertainment center to our new living room, and we redecorated the couch with a black cover, adding magenta cushions for a pop of color ($4.98 each from Target). Even more exciting, we finally got to put up our American wedding gallery. Apparently this took me three hours and it still has a few wonky areas. I think I should have held off putting the gallery up until I felt better. As for now, I'll fix the odd areas when I've rested.




(The I Do was actually a part of our wedding decor. We used the letters to accent our cake table)


It was interesting to work on a decorating project with hubby too. We've never built anything together or tried to shape a room, but today he gave me his expertise on putting my gallery together. Not only was it fun to work with him, I felt we worked really well together. Hubby may disagree as I am very OCD and my eye is twitching at the wonky angles of the frames I put together. But we didn't get heated with each other, we took each other's advice, and we stayed calm and had fun with it. I actually can't wait to work on another project with him.

The adventures of the weekend lead to a moment of newlywed bliss. Robert and I relaxed on our new couch in a space outside of our one room. I can't even describe the joys of sitting on a couch instead of being restricted to a bed. Granted, my parents have a couch in their living room, but this space was ours! We were undisturbed and secluded in our own little bubble of newly married life. I watched as he showed me his Call of Duty secrets, and then, he sneaked in a movie and we laid down to watch Gnomeo and Juliet. That little window of time we spent together was indescribably blissful. It's amazing the little moments that stand out to you. While our evening together isn't even a memory yet, I know years from now I'm going to remember this moment when I think of our life as newlyweds.

We know this room isn't really ours and that we still live at home, but it does make a difference to have another room to escape to. Another room that we can make personal to us and settle into. We still have a little work to do, but we've started off right, and we love the progress we've made so far.

2 comments:

  1. Having an extra room makes a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah thats wonderful! I love the gallery! Im still putting pics together and its been a year! Btw how was gnomeo and juliet? It looked super cute!

    ReplyDelete