Friday, July 22, 2011

When the going gets tough, we stick together

Yesterday was a trial and tribulation. I'm certainly not going to complain because the situation could have been so much worse, but I definitely need to share my story.

Robert was driving me to work yesterday because he was going out to job hunt. Such good intentions until we arrived to my job a few minutes early. We turned the car off, he smoked a cigarette, and we just talked until it was time for me to go in. Well, when we went to start the car again guess what. . . I'm sure as you have already imagined, the car wouldn't start.



(my car)

This is the first time anything like that has ever happened to me. My car is still fairly new (three years old) and quite ridiculously I thought I had a little while left until things started dying. Well, someone I work with was kind enough to give the car a jump for us; however, the jump didn't work. Robert, being an ex-mechanic, started investigating to see if it was the starter, the alternator, or just about anything else. Apparently Honda has a protective shield over the starter (underneath the car), so even if it was the starter, there was no way to access it without tools. At this point, poor Robert was at a loss and I had no idea what to say or do being completely clueless about cars.



(Image source: http://www.home-dzine.co.za/Lifestyle/life-jumper-cable.htm)

After much, much begging, Robert finally came inside and in the shade, while I had no choice but to start working. Robert was busy talking to people for advice, calling Honda to schedule a tow truck, meeting with the tower when he arrived, pretty much being my hero while I was stuck at work. Luckily, turns out it was just the battery. Apparently my battery had reached it's shelf life, and because it was so drained, the initial jump wasn't enough. The tech from the tow company was able to start the car, and Robert drove it over to Honda. Finally, four and a half hours later, my car had a new battery, and Robert was able to pick me up from what felt like the longest shift I've ever worked.

It was a long day and I'm a little disheartened because our savings was hit pretty hard. Unfortunately, that will push our moving out date back further. But I will say it was so nice to have Robert at work with me and to know I had someone to depend on when I was so worried. Of course, my mum was there to listen to me too. My mum is always there for me and I'm so lucky to have such a good relationship with her. But what I mean is, I'm so glad someone was physically around when my car didn't start. If my car had died and I was by myself, I know I'd have panicked even more than I already did.

I am so grateful to be living at home too. While I am eager to move out and for us to have our own place, a new battery would never have been in my budget had we have moved out. There's a positive side to everything. Even better, it just goes to show that Robert and I are strong enough to handle lifes little trials together, and that is the best feeling I've ever known. Bring it on world!

3 comments:

  1. Car problems are the worst. My tire exploded when I was on my way home from work. The big piece of metal hitting my windshield and my near loss of control of the car when the tire banged had me thinking I was going to die. Then, being stuck in the heat without a bathroom (first trimester of pregnancy) for four hours while Josh drove from his job (an hour and a half away) and we found and waited for a tow truck was pretty bad (the car is tall and would have rolled down the hill if we'd tilted it). Then, Josh's car died (completely) in the same week. Lord have mercy. I'm glad you were able to get your car fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds like an adventure too! Thank goodness you were okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that’s terrible! That must have been a really bad day for you, especially for Robert, because he should have been spending his day hunting for a job. Nevertheless, you’re still lucky because the car did not stop somewhere else. It would have been a bigger problem if you were going on a long drive and the car stopped in the middle of the road, miles away from the city.

    >Stelle Courney

    ReplyDelete