Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What's in a name?

One of the most exciting parts for me about getting married was changing my name. Not because I hated my maiden name, but because I couldn't wait to be "Mrs Ryberg." It may be just a name, but that name is part of what makes me his wife. As excited as I was though, I was far from enthused about the name changing process. Turns out, I had good reason not to be.



(Image source: http://themallmamma.blogspot.com/)

Social security was quick and easy, DMV was so-so (long wait, but it went smoothly), ironically it was the other parts of name changing that have been more difficult. I called and changed my name with my car insurance. . . card comes through and I'm still listed under my maiden name. Didn't I change that already? It's okay though because Robert and I will combine our insurance soon and it will change then.

Next was the bank, went in and changed my name (which almost took as long as the DMV by the way), and two days later I get a phone call asking me to come back in. Apparently they had forgotten to have me fill out a form releasing my new card. At this point I was still okay, even though I worked the same hours as the bank and finding a time to get back there was difficult. But a week later I signed the form and thought all was well. Two weeks later and still no card. When I called to find out why, the teller said my card hadn't been released and it would be another 3-5 days. Luckily that was the last call I had to make because 5 days later I had my card.

The ride wasn't over though! Next I had to wrestle with the tag and registration office. For some reason my dad is listed on my title and registration (I think it is because I had no credit when I bought the car). As such, the website hinted that he would have to be there for me to change my name, or at least, I needed to have a copy of his license. I called to double check and the lady confirmed this for me. After all, my dad does live in Australia, so having him with me would be a little difficult. Well the first time I went in I forgot my title, but still, nobody said anything about my missing dad- they just accepted the photocopied license. I went in last week, title in hand, registration ready, guess what. . . my dad does have to be there. I was given a form that he can sign since my mum has the power of attorney, but that will take weeks for us to get back. So once we get the slip back I'll try again.

Readers, this post may sound a little negative but I'm not complaining. It truly has been frustrating though, and while I knew changing my name would be a process, I had no idea it would be this challenging. I'll have to wait for my dad to come home to change my health insurance too. However, now all I have left is my title, registration, car insurance, and health insurance. Much better then when I started, right?

If I have any more adventures, I'll be sure to write about them. As for now, do you have any name changing stories? If so, please share so I don't feel so alone!

2 comments:

  1. See, I took a different approach to mine. I did Social Security rather easily and the bank, just called the insurance people and (I guess since we've had them for almost 20 years) that was pretty easy, but I'm terrified of the DMV. We've nearly been married for a year and I still haven't gotten that changed. Every time I go in there, there's like 20 people ahead of me and it wasn't worth the wait. I haven't been able to get the cell phones changed over though. No matter what I do, they can't get it changed in their system. So I have an ID that doesn't match who I am (plus, it says I stil live with my parents - and I moved out like 6 years ago?), but I think you're onto something... changing the name makes it legit. My hubby's ex wife refused to take his name (family legacy and all that) and it was never a negotiating point for us, so I guess it's a good thing I wanted to get rid of my maiden name ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know! It's such a pain. I warned my mother about this since she recently remarried. I made the mistake of going to the DMV before the Social Security Office--whoops. You never think about how many accounts bear your name until you get married. School was actually really hard for me. I was so worried my degree would have the wrong name on it. It did mean that I got two plaques for academic achievement, though, because the folks thought I was two people! The funny thing is that they sent me another one the next year when I wasn't even a student there anymore!

    ReplyDelete