Thursday, June 16, 2011

5 things I want to do before kids

Inspired by a fabulous blog I've been reading, Sparkle Scribbles, I've really found the urge to start making lists. Honestly, it can be a real pick me up in your day to make a list about your little joys or what you want to accomplish before a certain age. Well, since I'm so determined to have that "just us two" time with Robert, I figured I'd list a few of the things I want to accomplish before having children. I don't really have a timeline for having kids, but everything I'm listing I'd like to do over the next five years.

1. Earn my Master's Degree in English. This one is really important to me. I miss being at school and I'm eager to get back in a classroom to discuss literature and write papers (I know, I know, I'm strange). When I'm not in school, I lose that stable structure in my life and don't read nearly as much. It's an excuse I know, but I struggle to find the time whereas in school I somehow manage to fit it all in. So that's one thing, but also, once I've earned my Master's I can find a teaching position at a Community College (I hope) and that's ultimately what I'd like to do.



2. Own our own house. Having our own home is another big spot on my list. We've decided this isn't something in our budget for this upcoming year, but it should be within the next year. Not that I plan on having kids in 2 years (no way!) but it's my personal decision that I would rather raise a child in our home than our apartment.



(Image Source: http://www.remax.com/property/89651554-61000198/1905-Thorn-Crest-Waxhaw-NC-28173/)

This was actually the house we wanted to buy, but somebody bought it!

3. Revisit England. I remember what I was like as a child and, well, to put it mildly I was not easy to handle. I admire how strong my parents were, and still are, for putting up with my terrible twos! Most importantly, as a child you don't always appreciate what you are visiting. I've been to Venice and seen several of the manor homes and castles in England; not only can I not remember them, I didn't appreciate them when I was young and wanted to visit theme parks and playgrounds. So, rather selfishly, when we revisit England I want to be able to see the sights and sounds and not have to worry about being a parent, too.



4. Take another photo session with Sarah Vivienne. I'd be lying I said I didn't want to buy a more form fitting gown and have another bridal session now I've lost weight. However, I've succumb to the fact that I'm no longer a bride, and for this photo session, I just want Robert and I to dress up and take some nice family photos; anniversary shots if you will! Sarah is a fabulous photographer and I absolutely LOVE the pictures she captured from our blessing and bride and groom shoot. Check out her work by clicking the above link!



5. Go back to Disney World and Universal Studios! I plan on doing this when I have children too. However, I'd like one more fling at both of these parks before that day comes!



(Image Source: http://wonderfuldisneyworld.blogspot.com/2008/08/castle-of-fiberglass.html)

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh Sarah!

    I just clicked on your facebook link thinking, I like lists, I'll have a nosey at that ... There I was reading away and got to number 4!

    So completely honoured to be one of your 5 things before kids! And flattered to be alongside buying a house, getting a Masters degree and going to Disneyland. Wow!

    Thank you, I'm looking forward to it already! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous. I hope you do get your Masters. I'm so glad I got mine. All the built-in reading is wonderful, and so many unlikely discoveries pop up!

    ReplyDelete