Thursday, June 23, 2011

How hard is it to let go when the wedding is over?

Your wedding is one day out of the rest of your lives together. In-fact, it's one of the biggest days of your life together, and while it's not the most important moment you'll share together, there's not really another occasion like it. I'm not saying there's nothing as important as a wedding, rather, that when you have your first child or get your first home, it's not going to be the same type of celebration. In a way, I think letting go of the celebration itself can be hard for new brides. Especially since us brides spend months planning for our weddings. Some newlyweds suffer from post-wedding planning blues, and sometimes I wonder, am I one of those wives or am I just a woman who loves weddings?

I admit I still love reading wedding magazines (just a couple that have great stories) and I still spend hours admiring gorgeous wedding photography. Would I willingly plan the big day, or in my case big days, over again? No. I really have no desire to plan another wedding. However, I'd love to buy another wedding dress, get dolled up, and pose for more pictures in elaborate buildings or breathtaking locations. I still love looking at centerpiece ideas or hearing how couples incorporated intricate, personal details into their celebrations. Most importantly, I still love reliving every detail of both our days over and over again.



I do feel sad the day has come and gone, and I should have heeded all those pre-wedding warnings that said "treasure all of this because it's over before you know it." But I'm not necessarily sad that it's over, more that it was over so quickly. I wouldn't go back to just being a bride to be, because to me, being a wife is so much better. But I feel like there's so much I missed as the day whirled by me- which makes me think other cultures have it right. Maybe getting married first and then planning the celebration later is the way to go. Part of me thinks that being already married takes away from the celebration, but when I think about all my nerves and all my excitement about finally becoming his wife, well. . . sometimes I was so excited and so nervous I missed what was going on around me on the day. Would I have had a better memory of the day if I hadn't been so high on my emotions? Then again, would it have been such a memorable day if I didn't have all of those emotions?



(Image by Fort Mill Photography)

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change anything about our wedding days and I have absolutely no regrets. I wouldn't change all the jumbled emotions that came with our day, and I'm still glowing over the memories. In-fact, I am so happy about our wedding days and our lives as newlyweds that even people around me have said they love hearing me talk about my new husband. But I just think with all the energy and emotion that goes into a wedding, it's a little sad when it's all over.

1 comment:

  1. I still miss my wedding day 11 years later! I don't think the reminiscing ever goes away. And why should it? Like you say, it's one of the biggest days of your life.

    I love that I can still read wedding magazines and call it work!

    Most people I know who work in the wedding industry came into it shortly after getting married themselves. Says it all really :)

    ReplyDelete