Tuesday, June 21, 2011

How do you know you've found something good?

Following on with my post about "when do you know" I started thinking more about what makes someone the right one.


(This will SO be Robert and I when we're older. . . but with xbox controllers!)

(Image source: http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/phrase/4255/senior-couple.html)

To me, finding the one is more than just a moment when you know or when you have everything in common. In-fact, Robert and I are different in a lot of ways: I love PDA and cuddling . . .Robert doesn't; I am longing to go to Disney World. . . I couldn't drag Robert there if Jessica Alba (his famous girl crush) was going to meet him there and spend the week with us. When you've found the one, it's more than just being compatible, it's finding understanding. It's finding someone who has taken the time to understand you and respect the person you are even at your worst times. Someone who won't give up on you when times are hard or make you feel insecure for their own flaws.

Maybe I'm being a little obvious; however, before I met Robert, I kept thinking I'd found the one because we had fun together or because we enjoyed the same things. Yeah, those factors make the relationship fun and should definitely be important, but it doesn't mean they are the same /only elements that make a lasting relationship. It can be easy when you're blinded by your feelings to skip over things, like the fact your phone calls aren't that interesting or the same, small problem keeps reappearing. When we're with someone, more often than not we tell ourselves "these problems will go away." Marriage is forever though, and if you only marry someone you have fun with, what happens when times get tough and the fun is gone?

If your partner isn't willing to work through the hard times with you, or doesn't appreciate that, some days, you're just unpleasant to be around, chances are he/she isn't the one. The one will get that you're a kid at heart or that you're obsessive compulsive, and not only will they understand you, they'll show appreciation for that side of you.

Robert's been so wonderful lately that I can't help but think about all the ways he's the one for me. So I've decided to share a few reasons that I know he's the right guy (one is even slightly embarrassing). So read on for a little fun:

Hubby HATES reading or anything to do with writing, but he takes interest in this blog. Granted, he hasn't read it, but he listens to me talk about my posts and how happy I am when I hear someone is reading it. In-fact, I told him I took my journal to work to write about our honeymoon at lunch- his first question? You going to post it on your blog?

Robert understands how to cope with my tempers. Some days, I can just flare up for no reason. While I am a woman and we do ride emotional roller coasters, it's more than that on my end. However, as fast as I get angry, I cool down just as quickly. Robert understands this about me and lets me be angry; essentially, unless he's done something horribly wrong and he knows he needs to listen, he knows just to ignore my rants. When I sheepishly return with a great, big apology, he always understands and takes nothing personal.

This next one is a bit embarrassing, but I'm okay with sharing a few bashful secrets. I have a stuffed Pluto (Mickey's dog) that I've had for thirteen years. I'm extremely attached to it and it's the only thing that stays out on our bed. He completely understands. In fact, sometimes when I'm really angry, he'll use Pluto to cheer me up; such as make it look like Pluto is wagging his tale until I smile! Talk about an understanding husband (and a wife with a childish humor haha). However, the point is he knows how much I'm attached to it, and he doesn't make fun of it, rather, he embraces it too.



(Image source: http://www.cartoonscrapbook.com/D/disney-short-subjects-1940s.htm)

I know I didn't give you much here but, hey, a wife needs her secrets, too. However they are some of the biggest reasons I knew Robert was right for me. Can't appreciate my writing, my tempers, or my Pluto? I'd have shown you the door! All of these little quirks show that Robert understands me, and there's a lot I do to show Robert I appreciate and understand him; like leaving him to play video games for HOURS everyday. Then again, I'd be lying if I said I didn't join in every once in a while, too!

What about you? What told you that you had found someone special?

No comments:

Post a Comment